With the rising energy bills, every one of us is looking for ways to reduce energy consumption. If you are in the league too, you must first know about the appliances that use the most electricity at your place.
With this information available, you can either reduce their usage or look for alternatives, translating into lower electricity usage.
So, let’s identify the top 5 highest electricity-using equipment or gadgets at your home.
Also Read: Myths regarding electricity
Air conditioning / heating system:
The air conditioning and heating system use the most energy in a home or a commercial building. With the excessive consumption of power, you have to spend more on electricity bills.
The data reveals that the HVAC system accounts for 46% of the energy consumption in a household, which explains it all.
Here are a few ways you can reduce your overall usage:
- Use an air conditioner or heater when it is extremely hot or cold.
- Set the thermostat to a temperature that tripping and switching it on again wouldn’t consume much the electricity
- Get regular servicing of the air conditioners, so they use lesser electricity.
- Inside vents and outside units must always be open
- Dress appropriately for the weather so there will be a lesser need for using air-conditioning or heating systems.
- Let a professional electrician examine your unit in case of any issues.
Water heating System:
The second appliance or electrical gadget that takes up most of the power is the water heating system. A typical water heating system can take up to 13.5 kWh per day, which ultimately translates to hundreds of dollars in the monthly electricity bill.
Here are a few ways to limit the usage of water heating systems:
- Set the temperature of the water heating unit to 120F or lower to conserve energy.
- Add insulation to your water heater. So the water remains hot for long
- Adding insulation to the pipes will also be a great idea to reduce the energy bills by incurring a one-time cost.
Also Check: How to read an electrical meter?
The next on the list of most energy-consuming electrical equipment is refrigerators. We agree that refrigerators are essential and you can’t live without them. But you can consider these suggestions to limit energy usage to the maximum extent.
- You must set the refrigerator temperature according to the recommendation of the manufacturer.
- You must not fill the refrigerator excessively.
- Clean behind and under the refrigerator o maintain good airflow.
Washers and dryers:
You can expect your washer and dryer to take 5% of your overall energy consumption. It might not seem much, but you can see it makes up the top 5 appliances or equipment requiring electricity in a home.
Below are some tips that you can use to make your washing machine and dryers consume lesser energy:
- Use full load on every washing
- Do not use warm water for the wash
- Do not overfill the machine
- Prefer drying racks over machine dryers
Also Read: Can you hear electricity?
Electric oven and stove:
The electric oven takes a significant amount of electricity to maintain its proper working. An hour of its working results in the use of 75 KWh every day. You can assume the impact it will create monthly. You cannot abstain from cooking, right? But you can optimize its usage to get the best results:
- Using smaller devices like a toaster or microwave will lead to lower energy usage than an electric stove.
- Do not preheat or let the burner own without reason
- You can turn off the burner a few minutes earlier than the actual time; residual heat will do the rest.
By limiting the use of this equipment and appliances, you can reduce your monthly electricity bill. Opting for the suggestions mentioned above will not even impact the lifestyle you enjoy. So, try them now and free yourself from the extra financial burden.