The multimeter test voltage is an electrical instrument capable of detecting different electrical parameters in a circuit, including voltage, current, and resistance.
You can use this equipment while connecting different wires or creating a new electrical connection. It can save you from accidents and unwanted incidents.
So, it is essential to understand its proper usage. If you are not aware of the exact procedure for using it, then don’t worry this article is to facilitate you in the best possible manner.
So, let’s start:
Steps to using a multimeter:
Below are the main steps to using a multimeter:
- You’ll have two leads with your multimeter. You should connect the negative lead with COM Port and the positive lead with “V”.
- Once you have connected these leads, now secure yourself. Do not touch the outlets or other electrical sockets with bare hands. Use protective gloves and take all the necessary measures.
- Now connect the positive end of the lead with the right side of the smaller hole in the outlet. Similarly, connect the negative side of the wire with the larger or the left outlet.
- Rotate the dial to AC current, and your multimeter will show you the readings. These readings must be around 110V to 120V. This is the general current that flows through outlets.
- You can even check the current flowing through the ground wire. For that, you need to put the negative lead into the smaller hole at the bottom and the positive one into the Right socket opening. You’ll see the Multimeter showing you the reading. It would also be around 110V to 120V.
A multimeter can help you find the exact current flowing through the circuit so you can make electrical decisions accordingly. As this meter can also measure voltage and resistance, so you can change the dial and find these electrical aspects with great ease. But make sure to use it cautiously or get help from expert electricians.
Read More: Chirping of the Smoke Detectors